Why I chose Cersei Lannister!?


The TV show Game of thrones made some waves in the fantasy drama television series genre. It had lot of viewers and fans. Myself and few of my office colleagues were also loyal viewers and fans of the show. Before the beginning of the last season of the show everyone in our office picked a character that they would want to be. It is a fun game to play.

I was explaining this office game to another colleague and she asked me did your friends choose the character Cersei Lannister for you or did you choose it. “I chose Cersei Lannister” I said. Her question made me think; why would I choose a character that is villainous in nature?

Why her; her character is the most powerful woman, the queen of 7 kingdoms, I liked the actress and her previous work in movies like 300 and ‘You & I’. 
Why not her; her character is murderous, incestuous and pure evil.
Why not anyone else: I adored many other characters in the series, I am a fan of the whole stark clan, especially Arya Stark and Sansa Stark. I am hounded by this question why did I not choose any of the Stark’s?

The reason I could come up with is because these Stark characters were still developing and we did not know how things will turn up with them. That was not the case with Cersei, here character is already developed and known. In any situation we know the direction she will go. We also knew her character will be killed off in the end. She is the devil we know. As the saying goes “the known devil is better than the unknown angel”. This is probably why I chose Cersei Lannister.

This scares me because it raises another question, how and why is a known devil better than an unknown angel?


P.S.: While writing this I came across a good article on this topic – “known devil is better than an unknown angel? I think not!”, do read it 
https://www.iuemag.com/april2014/di/a-known-devil.php

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mango People

The Story of Mango People [Aam Janta] Why do people cross the railway track and take chances with fatal accidents? I never understood this...